Monday, September 26, 2005

Ô joie, ô désespoir...

A few of my friends went to San Francisco for their holidays a couple of weeks ago. The chancer that I am asked whether a complete season 1 DVD set could be purchased on my behalf whilst over there because well... one episode a week just ain't cutting it any longer. I could have purchased it myself on the net but that way, I figured I wouldn't have to pay taxes. I could also wait for the release of the FIRST half of the series on Region 2 DVD (which of course would happen after all the episodes included were broadcasted on TV which quite frankly defeats the purpose)

My trusted friend C indeed purchased the DVD. The DVD was placed in her suitcase, the suitcase on the plane and at that stage, I was already salivating profusely and was ready to kiss aforementioned friend’s feet, dirty socks and all. But of course, her luggage got lost (oh, the irony) and when recovered, several items were missing. Including my DVDs. I blame Homeland Security and the fact that you travelers are not allowed to lock their luggage prior to check-in in the States because of course they might want to search it on top of having scanned it, and sniffed it. You never know…

Unfortunately, this leaves the poor traveler open to robbery at any stage of luggage handling. On a San Fran to Dublin via London trip, that’s a lot of people, especially if you consider the fact that the luggage was missing for 2 days. A lot of people who have the potential to steal anything from anyone without any worry of being caught. Who’s to say where and when it happened? Who’s even to say what you claim has disappeared was indeed there in the first place? I mean, is there no respect for people’s property anymore? Or maybe they were considered potentially harmful and swiftly removed so as not to endanger the innocent passengers… Yeah, that must be it…

Anyway, after spewing a string of invectives at X and reassuring C that it was OK, that it was not her fault and that I was sorry lots of her stuff went missing, I relented and bought the DVD set on eBay today (I’m big on the tax evasion thing). I just hope it’s not the one that was stolen from C in the first place cause I’d be quite pissed off.

No comments: